Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Springfield, IL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Springfield?

Both state and city agencies license professionals operating in Springfield. This includes the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR), which regulates over 120 professions and occupations like architects, surveyors, and engineers through its 46 Boards and Committees. Building professionals like electrical and mechanical contractors are not issued licenses at the state level, instead, licensing is carried out at the city level by the Springfield Public Works Department. It is important to confirm that your intended professionals have obtained licenses from the relevant issuing agency. You can verify professionals' licensing status at the state level by utilizing the license lookup portal maintained by the IDFPR. Similarly, you can contact the city's Public Works Department at (217)789-2255 to confirm professionals licensing status at the city level.

After verifying the licensing status of intended professionals in the city, you must also ensure you obtain all necessary permits for your intended projects before commencing work. Permits are usually required for projects that involve construction, modification, alteration of new and existing building structures in the city. Springfield Public Works Department issues these permits upon proper application by project owners or hired contractors where applicable. It is advisable to understand the city's permit process when planning a project, and you can do this by directing queries relating to the city's permit procedures and requirements to the city's Public Works Department at (217)789-2255

Illinois Contractor License Search:

Do Springfield Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations in Springfield do not issue building permits to residents or any other interested parties in the city. Neighborhood associations are formed by residents who share common goals and want an environment where they can offer solutions to common problems, which in turn creates a better sense of togetherness amongst them. Even though these associations do not issue permits, they work with relevant city agencies to encourage community participation, and they also work on development projects that can improve the life quality of the neighborhoods. For instance, the ongoing Springfield Rail Improvements Project has amassed the support of public officials, neighborhood associations, and community leaders through public involvement and outreach. The project is intended to increase safety in the city by reducing congestion and vehicle emissions.

Similarly, Springfield icon neighborhood associations host an annual awareness program on the challenges of securing and maintaining affordable housing for residents in their community. The program is aimed at creating a more welcoming and equitable community. You can use the city's neighborhood associations directory or the city's online map to get information on the neighborhood associations within your neighborhood.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Springfield?

Residents who have been victims of fraud, deception, or unfair business practices in Springfield can file complaints with the Consumer Protection Division of the Illinois Attorney General's office. You can file complaints by completing an online consumer complaint form, or you can submit a completed printable consumer complaint form to:

  • Office of the Illinois Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Bureau
  • 500 South Second Street
  • Springfield, IL 62701

If you are using the printable form, ensure you include your contact information and attach any other relevant documents. The Attorney General's Office has a mediation program that may assist you in resolving your complaints against deceptive professionals or businesses. However, this office cannot represent you in a lawsuit, nor can it guarantee you restitution. Instead, you can retain the services of a lawyer to file a private lawsuit to seek personal remedy where a right of action has been established against the business or professionals. For example, your retained lawyers can help you file a lawsuit at Sangamon County Circuit Court. You can use the Illinois Lawyer Finder tool provided by the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) to find active Springfield lawyers. You can also access the ISBA's lawyer referral services via phone number (800) 922-8757.