Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Rockford, IL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Rockford?

The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) licenses and regulates the activities of 129 different professions in Rockford through 46 Boards and Committees. When you are about to embark on a project, ensuring that the professional you hire is licensed is one of the ways to assure yourself of a satisfactory outcome. You can verify the validity of a Rockford professional's license using the license lookup portal maintained by the IDFPR.

It is important to note that when hiring professionals, certain projects might have extra requirements. For example, if you're engaging a building or construction professional for home improvement works, alteration, enlargement, repairs of a building, or similar projects, Rockford requires that you obtain a permit from its Community and Economic Development Department. To obtain more information on the types of building projects that require permits and to make applications for permits, you may contact this department at (779) 348-7158.

Illinois Contractor License Search:

Do Rockford Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Rockford neighborhood associations and groups do not have any authority to issue building-related or home improvement permits. Rather, these groups work together with the city officials and one another to ensure the progress of their neighborhoods and the city at large. Rockford has fourteen wards, and voters in each of these wards elect a representative to the city council. The city council is the policy-making and legislative body for the city and its members are each elected to four-year terms. You may find out about what ward you belong to and also get information on your ward representative using the city's ward map. City officials and residents typically collaborate to come up with numerous initiatives to help ensure a better way of life and improve the city's infrastructure and economy. For example, the city approved a Capital Improvement Plan which is expected to run from 2021 until 2025. Per this improvement plan, $5.5 million will be set aside for repaving residential roads annually, with the Whitman Street interchange, which is to be reconfigured at a cost of more than $14 million, being one of the most high profile projects of this plan. Asides from the Capital Plan, numerous construction projects that have been started in Rockford are close to completion and are to be finished in 2021. About six of these projects that are nearing completion or have already been completed were highlighted by the Illinois Department of Transportation. They include the expansion joint replacements project on the bridge at Kishwaukee River in Cherry Valley that was completed in June 2021, and the reconstruction and installation of a bike path, signals, storm sewers, and lighting on Perryville Road that is expected to be completed by November 2021.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Rockford?

Unfair business complaints in Rockford may be filed with the Illinois Attorney General on the basis of fraud, unfair competition practices, or deception. Consumer complaints made to the Attorney General's Office are handled by its Consumer Protection Division and you can make complaints to this division by completing an online complaint form. Alternatively, complaints may be made by downloading, completing, and mailing a complaint form to

  • Office of the Illinois Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Bureau
  • 500 South Second Street
  • Springfield, IL 62701

When a complaint is made, the complaint and all supporting documents are forwarded to the business complained of unless you expressly ask the office not to do so. Note that attorneys from the Attorney General's Office cannot institute private legal actions on your behalf and only provide the complaint process as a form of mediation between yourself and the business. However, in certain situations where a pattern of illegal behaviors has been noticed from a particular business, an action may be instituted in the public interest. If the consumer complaint process by the Attorney General's Office does not result in an outcome that you deem appropriate or reasonable, you may still proceed to a Winnebago County Court Courthouse to file an appropriate legal action.