Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Naperville, IL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Naperville?

Hiring licensed professionals is a surefire way to ensure that any project you embark on is executed to a good standard. Over 1 million professionals across 129 different professions are regulated by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) and this includes professionals in Naperville. The IDFPR regulates these professionals through 46 different Boards and Committees, and when you want to embark on a project, you can verify the status of a professional you intend to hire through the IDFPR's license lookup portal. In addition to any state licensing requirements, Naperville also has some additional requirements for certain professionals. For example, electricians or any other individuals that seek to engage in any electrical work in Naperville must register as an Electrical Contractor with the city's Community Services Department. To obtain more information on the registration requirements or to find out the registration status of a Naperville professional, you may contact the Department at (630) 305-5300.

Naperville also has mandatory permit requirements for persons that seek to engage in commercial or residential building projects. Interested persons may obtain the appropriate permits from the Development Services Department. Inquiries related to Naperville permits can also be directed to (630) 420-6100.

Illinois Contractor License Search:

Do Naperville Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations in Naperville do not issue permits for construction or building-related projects. Rather, neighborhood associations in Naperville work alongside the city officials to help drive projects and services that are geared towards improving the lives of the residents in that neighborhood and also improving the living standards and prosperity of Naperville. For a while, Naperville has struggled with affordable housing and has even been cited twice, most recently in 2019, by the Illinois Housing Development Authority for a lack of affordable housing. To this end, on September 20th, 2021, the city council approved a development project for Naper Commons that is expected to add 227 housing units to the city. Concerns had been raised that these units fail to contribute to the affordable housing need within the city. However, this argument was swiftly countered by the City Mayor, who argued that making prices affordable often requires increasing the density of houses. In 2020, the Naperville city council held a workshop to discuss the city's affordable housing challenges. At that workshop, eight recommendations that had been suggested by the city's Housing Advisory Commission were discussed and feedback from the workshop is to be used for the development of future policies and legislation.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Naperville?

If you have any business complaints against a business in Naperville as a result of deception, misrepresentation of services, fraud, or other unfair competition practices, you may report such complaints to the Consumer Protection Division of the Illinois Attorney General's Office. You can file a complaint with this office by using an online complaint form. If you are unable to access this online form or cannot complete the form online, you may download a complaint form, fill it accordingly, and send it alongside any supporting documents to

  • Office of the Illinois Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Bureau
  • 500 South Second Street
  • Springfield, IL 62701

It is important to note that the Attorney General's Office only serves as a mediator between you and the business, and it cannot institute private legal actions on your behalf or provide personal legal advice to you. Also, although this office can investigate your complaint and may provide a resolution, there is no assurance that the resolution reached will be totally in line with your own desires. If the complaint process does not result in what you consider a proper or favorable outcome, you may decide to institute a private legal action at a DuPage County Court. You may represent yourself at a small claims court, but if you would like an attorney and do not have one, you can contact the Illinois State Bar to get a reference by calling (800) 252-8908. Alternatively, you may use the Find a Lawyer portal to get a referral or find duly licensed attorneys. If you would like a pro bono lawyer, you can find a list of pro bono lawyers using the legal aid referrals portal provided by the Attorney General's Office.