Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Joliet, IL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Joliet?

The activities of over 129 different professions in Joliet and across Illinois are regulated by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) through its 46 Boards and Committees. When you are embarking on a project, hiring a professional with a valid license issued by any of these boards is a good way to make sure that your project is executed to a high standard. You can verify the license status of a Joliet professional using the license lookup portal maintained by the IDFPR.

It is important to note that there are certain projects you may want to embark on that might have local government-mandated compulsory requirements. For example, Joliet requires a permit for any modification, alteration, or addition to a building and also for new constructions. Interested persons may obtain the required permits from the Joliet Building and Inspectional Services Division. To obtain these permits or make inquiries, you may send an email to the division or call (815) 724-4070. Alternatively, you may visit the division in person at:

  • First Floor, South Wing
  • 150 West Jefferson Street,
  • Joliet, IL 60432
Illinois Contractor License Search:

Do Joliet Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Joliet neighborhood associations and groups cannot issue additional permits for construction or home improvement projects. Rather, these associations and groups work hand in hand with the city, particularly the Community Development Department, to develop initiatives and services that address the neighborhood's issues and help make life in Joliet better. In April 2021, construction on the Joliet Bus Station began. The Joliet Bus Station is the final part of the Joliet Gateway Center, which also includes a train station that had already been opened to the public in 2018. This bus station is estimated to cost $9million and it will be the first Pace bus station within the city. Likewise, construction works have also begun on the Carmax Auto dealership that was granted permission by the city in 2019. The auto dealership will be on the northeast corner of Route 59 and Theodore Street and is expected to be an attractive new business that will boost the city's sales tax and attract patronage from people in neighboring towns and cities.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Joliet?

You may make complaints against businesses in Joliet for deception, fraud, or unfair competition practices by contacting the Illinois Attorney General. This office's Consumer Protection Division is directly responsible for handling these complaints, and you may file one by completing the online complaint form provided for this purpose. If you are unable to complete the online form, you may file a complaint by sending a completed complaint form to the Office of the Attorney General via mail to

  • Office of the Illinois Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Bureau
  • 500 South Second Street
  • Springfield, IL 62701

You should note that although the Attorney General's Office can investigate your complaint and may be able to find a resolution for you, it cannot institute private legal actions on your behalf or provide legal advice to you. Additionally, there is no guarantee that the resolution reached will be what you consider proper restitution. In situations where the complaint process does not result in a satisfactory resolution, you may decide to proceed to a Will County Courthouse to file an action against the business or person. If you do not have an attorney you may contact the Illinois State Bar by calling (800) 252-8908 or you can access its Find a Lawyer portal to find duly registered Illinois lawyers or get referrals. If you are unable to afford a lawyer, you may utilize the legal aid referrals portal provided by the Attorney General's Office to find pro bono lawyers that may be willing to take your case.