Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Aurora, IL

How to Verify a Professional's License in Aurora?

The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) is responsible for regulating the activities of 129 different professions in Aurora, and it licenses over 1 million professionals through 46 Boards and Committees. Employing a properly licensed professional to carry out your project is very important in order to assure yourself of quality and a high professional standard. In order to verify the license of a professional you intend to hire in Aurora, you may access the license lookup portal maintained by the IDFPR.

Aurora also requires certain categories of construction and building-related professionals to register their licenses with the city or obtain new Aurora City licenses from the Building and Permits Division of the city's Development Services Department. You may find out what professionals need registration or licensing and how to obtain a license or register an existing license by calling (630) 256-3130. Licensing and registration may also be carried out online by visiting the Aurora's eTrakit online web portal.

Finally, there may also be a requirement for permits if you are carrying out a construction or home improvement project. The City's Building and Permits Division issues different residential and commercial permits and you may find out about permits and also apply for permits by calling this division at (630) 256-3130.

Illinois Contractor License Search:

Do Aurora Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood groups in Aurora do not have the authority to issue permits. Neighborhood groups, which also include civic groups and other community organizations within Aurora, are more concerned with jointly collaborating on areas of shared interest for the progress of the city and the particular neighborhood to which its members belong. The various neighborhoods in Aurora all fall under one of ten wards within the city. There is also a city council, which is the legislative body of the city and is made up of twelve officials, with one council person elected from each ward while two are elected at large. You may find out what ward your neighborhood belongs to and the identity of your council representative using the city's ward maps. The city council and the various neighborhoods often collaborate on projects for the progress of the city. For example, as one of the various community-led initiatives in the city, the Friends of the Fox River group regularly organizes a yearly cleanup of the river,with the group witnessing massive volunteer sign-ups and excitement for this year's cleanup. The city also has major construction works kicking off, such as the 173, 400 square foot industrial facility to be built along the I-88 corridor in North Aurora that is scheduled to begin in October 2021 and to be completed by the second quarter of 2022.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Aurora?

Residents in Aurora may file consumer complaints with the Aurora Community Services Department or with the Illinois Attorney General. Complaints that are made to the city should be complaints that can be handled by a city division or are against a city division. Examples of these complaints include complaints against businesses and professionals carrying out work without the required permits. Complaints to the Community Services Department may be made online or by calling (630) 256-4636. When you make a complaint to this department, a customer service personnel forwards it to the appropriate division for a response. Note that the department only serves as a mediator unless there has been a breach of a law or ordinance. Also, the department cannot carry out enforcement actions on behalf of private individuals.

Consumer complaints may also be filed with the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's Office on the basis of fraud, unfair business practices, or deception. You may make a complaint by filling out an online complaint form or by downloading and completing a complaint form which should be mailed to

  • Illinois Attorney General
  • Consumer Fraud Bureau
  • 500 South Second Street
  • Springfield, IL 62701

The Consumer Protection Division can only assist in the resolution of complaints and cannot force a business to comply or represent citizens privately. If the resolution reached by the division is unsatisfactory, you may proceed to a Kane County Courthouse for a private action suit.